Words are the building blocks of any language yet a lot of students struggle when it comes to new words.A great vocabulary has several benefits. It makes your speech effective and helps you to convey your thoughts easily. It also makes your writing powerful. If you are an aspiring writer it helps you to write more effectively which in turn helps your readers. It is not very difficult to improve your vocabulary if you are willing to become disciplined and set aside some time for improving your vocabulary. Let us see few tips on how to improve vocabulary in English:
How to improve vocabulary in English
- Read, read and read- This is the first step when it comes to learning new words. You can’t learn new words by reading the old material. In order to learn new words, you have to expand your reading horizon and explore different types of reading materials. It will also improve your reading skills.
- Watch English Movies- Watch English TV series and films. You can also watch the English movie channels like HBO, Star Movies, and Sony Pix. You will learn many new words used in context. It will also improve your listening skills.
- Use Flash Cards-Use flash cards to note down important words. Write similar words in the front with their meanings at the back. Try to recall the meaning of the words and check if you were right.
- Keep a journal while reading-Whenever you read new words make sure you note them down along with their meaning and synonyms. Try to make sentences with those new words and note them down as well.
- Learn roots-Learn the roots of words. Most words in the English language are built from a common root, prefix, and suffix, usually with an origin in the Greek or Latin language.This way you will learn the art of decoding meaning from the root. For example – the root bi means two.The root of the word vocabulary, is voc, a Latin root meaning “word” or “name.
- Play word games – This is a fun way of learning new words. You can start by playing word board games like scrabble or crossword puzzles. There are many words games out there on the internet just google for more.
- Make synonym word lists-A lot of times we use the same words again and again. So try to find out the synonyms of common words and next time use the synonyms in place of the common words.
- Use vocabulary building books- Books like Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis are very helpful in building a good vocabulary. They use different techniques of categorizing words and building words by roots.
- Discover minimum 5 new words a day – Try to find 5 new words every day from newspapers, books or while listening to the news or while watching a film.Note them in your journal along with their meanings.
- Learn words with pictures-“A picture paints a thousand words.”Some of us are visual learners i.e.we learn better with pictures.Don’t just look at pictures, think about them. Discuss them. See if you can describe what’s happening in them, and name everything in them.
- Practice new words in different ways-It takes 10 to 20 repetitions to get acquainted with new words. Try to use them in conversation and also while writing.There is no use of learning and discovering new words if you aren’t using them from time to time. Make sure you use these words an ample number of times so they get embedded in your subconscious mind.
I hope you find the tips useful on how to improve vocabulary in English.
Learning new words is fun so make sure you take it as a challenge and not as a burden.
Get a Qriyo home tuition for English
Qriyo is India’s 1st Managed Home Tuition App. We provide you with home tutors for academics and other 300+ courses at your doorstep to help the student study in the comfort of his home.We also take regular tests through the Qriyo app to track the student’s performance.If you find our article on how to improve vocabulary in English useful please do share it with your friends.
Download the home tuition app now from Google Play and start learning.